10.24.2005

joan didion + Y.O.M.T.


"During those years I was traveling on what I knew to be a very shaky passport, forged papers: I knew that I was no legitimate resident in any world of ideas. I knew I couldn’t think. All I knew then was what I couldnĂ‚’t do. All I knew was what I wasn’t, and it took me some years to discover what I was.

Which was a writer.

By which I mean not a "good" writer or a "bad" writer but simply a writer, a person whose most absorbed and passionate hourse are spent arranging words on pieces of paper. Had my credentials been in order I would never have become a writer. Had I been blessed with even limited access to my own mind there would have been no reason to write. I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear". -Joan Didion (excerpts from Why I Write, New York Times Dec-1976)


photo: john bryson/time + life pictures/getty image.

a MUST read; the year of magical thinking; chapter one excerpt:

No comments: